· ¼ cup quinoa
· ¼ cup barley
· 1 cup water
· 1 TBSP olive oil
· 1 onion, chopped finely
· 1 large clove garlic, minced
· 3 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
· 2 eggs
· 2 tablespoons milk
· ¼ cup breadcrumbs
· 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
· ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
· salt & pepper
· oil for pan frying
1. Combine the quinoa and barley and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until water is fully absorbed.
3. Transfer quinoa and barley to a large bowl.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
5. Saute the onions for about a minute
6. Add the garlic, cook for until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
7. Add the spinach and cook for until wilted about 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Combine the spinach and onions with the quinoa and barley in the bowl.
9. Beat the eggs and milk together in a small bowl
10. Add beaten eggs to the other ingredients.
11. Add the breadcrumbs, cheddar and salt and pepper.
12. Stir everything together until well incorporated.
13. Shape the mixture into patties
14. Cover with panko
15. Add about 1 TBSP of cooking oil to skillet heat over medium-high.
16. Fry patties for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
17. Transfer to a paper towel lined rack to drain.
Serve warm. Try them with Hot Cool and Creamy Dip