· 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
· 2 1/2 pounds top brisket
· 2 tablespoons of your favorite spice blend or dry rub, divided
· 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
· 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
· 3 cups beef stock or vegetable broth
· One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in a large skillet.
2. Season the brisket with1 tablespoon of the spice blend.
3. Add the brisket to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat browned, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Transfer the brisket to the slow cooker or roasting pan
5. Heat remaining oil in skillet and sauté onions and garlic until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
6. Stir in remaining spice blend
7. Add 2 cups stock, tomatoes and juice
8. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally
9. Pour over brisket
10. Deglaze the pan with the remaining stock and pour over the brisket
11. Cook on low for 3 ½- 4 hours in slow cooker or
Cover and bake at 325ºF for 2-3 hours
12. Let rest in sauce 15 minutes before slicing.