- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup very cold beer or seltzer water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- canola oil, for deep frying
- ½ pound shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1-2 TBS Sriracha (Optional)
- Coat shrimps in sriacha and place in refrigerator
- Stir the flour, potato flakes and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the egg, beer, and oil in a separate bowl, just until blended.
- Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients until a slightly lumpy batter forms. The batter should be thick enough to coat the shrimp.
- Place shrimp in batter and spoon inti heated oil, a few at a time
- Shrimp will float to the top, let cook for 1 minute after it reaches the top
- Turn and cook an additional minute
- Remove from oil, place on paper towel
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce or hot mustard